Movie preview poster for City of Bones
Book: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Claire
Age Group: Teen
Genre: Action, Adventure, Romance, Supernatural
I finished this novel about two days ago, but wanted to sit on it before I breached my review. I read this novel once before, when I was younger, and was enraptured by the environment that Claire created. I craved to be one of them. As Stephenie Meyer points out on the front cover, “The Mortal Instruments series is a story world that I love to live in.” This quote in turn to me could not be more true. By the time I got to the end of the novel though, some of the romance she began to set up rubbed me the wrong way. I lent the book to two other friends and they felt the same way. Every time I tried to pick up City of Ashes I couldn’t help squirming uncomfortably and never got very far into it before setting it down again.
The second time I read it, I found myself less involved deeply in the world, plot, and characters, as I felt that they weren’t as well written, nor portrayed as in Claire’s Infernal Instruments series, this probably being as City of Bones was her first published novel. The characters aren’t as believable, nor as fleshed out as they were in the Infernal Devices. They leave me with blurry images of themselves on godlike tiers in my mind. Her word choices, descriptions, and sentences leave a little something to be desired, although still an enjoyable read.
Claire really understands her audience, the main character of this series being a female and an artist. The main character of the Infernal Devices being an avid book-reader. These connections not only reveal part of Claire herself, but make strong personal connections with her readers. Seeing this trend I can’t wait to see what the main character of Claire’s next Shadowhunter series will be.
This time I knew what ending was coming, so I felt that it didn’t hit me quite as hard. I also remained skeptical of it, as others who are farther along in the series advised me, and looked for Claire’s hints and loopholes that I didn’t read for the first time. In the end, the ending didn’t rub me the wrong way and I have moved onto the second book.
As always, my thoughts and opinions are my own and no one elses. Be sure to check out other sources. Also if you’re a lover of Cassandra Claire and of art, as I am, be sure to check out her amazing tumblr!
Thanks for your time,
- Clockwork Princess – A Spoiler Free Review (xhogyokux.wordpress.com)
- ‘The Infernal Devices’: Dream Casting the ‘Mortal Instruments’ Prequel (PHOTOS) (news.moviefone.com)
- City of Bones (bookloverblogger.wordpress.com)
- Latest The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones Character Poster Is an Instrument of Chaos (dreadcentral.com)
- THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES one of the ’25 Most Anticipated Movie’s of 2013′ (shadowinked.com)
- Cannes: ‘Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones’ Team Returns For Sequel ‘City Of Ashes’ (deadline.com)
- Constantin Films Developing MORTAL INSTRUMENTS Prequel Film INFERNAL DEVICES (collider.com)
- The Mortal Instruments Series (neddely.wordpress.com)