Rating: 5/5 – Beat the heat with this cool refreshing cake!
These days I’m finding the weather a bit warm to cook over a hot stove, so the other night I went cold instead trying out a new recipe called a Strawberry Icebox Cake. This is not a recipe I made from scratch, but instead found right here. Which is from theKitchn.com. Great site for cool recipes! — Also I apologize for the tragic photo quality. These were taken with my phone as my camera is out of commission at the moment.
2 pounds fresh strawberries, washed
3 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon rosewater (optional)
4 sleeves (about 19 ounces, or 24 to 28 whole crackers) graham crackers
2 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
Supplies: A 9×13 pan, a bowl to heat up the cream in, a knife, cutting board, a spoon, a hand mixer, a medium sized bowl, a whisk or fork, and a heat microwaveable bowl.
Step One: Hull most of strawberries and slice thinly. Keep a couple extra aside for garnish.
Step Two: With a hand mixer, whip 3 cups of cream until it stiffens. Add the confectioners sugar, vanilla, and rosewater if you’re using it, and whip to together.
Step Three: Pour a small amount of your whipped mixture onto the bottom of your pan. Then add your first layer of graham crackers.
Step Four: Add some more of your whipped mixture and then a layer of strawberries. Repeat with the graham crackers again. Do this for four graham cracker layers.
Step Five: To make the ganache, heat the cream until bubbles form around the edges, then pour over the chopped chocolate. Let it stand for a few minutes, then whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy. Drizzle this over the layered dessert with a spoon.
Step Six: Refrigerate for at least four hours, or until the crackers have softened completely. Garnish with additional berries and serve cold on a hot day!
Thanks for taking the time to read this and happy cooking!
- Make this S’mores Icebox Cake, aka ‘Marshmallow Lasagna’ (foodbeast.com)
- No Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake (thislooksyummy.wordpress.com)
- Skinny Tropical Icebox Cake (temptris.wordpress.com)
- 5 no-bake summer desserts for when it’s already hotter than an oven (coolmompicks.com)
- Chia Icebox Cake (thepancakeprincess.com)
- An Icebox Birthday Cake: Thanks for the Memories (sweetdanib.com)
- Make Easy No-Bake Icebox Cake With Two Ingredients (joannegreco.wordpress.com)
- Make Easy No-Bake Icebox Cake With Two Ingredients (buzzfeed.com)
- strawberry lemonade icebox pie (angrychicken.typepad.com)